Homemade [Grain-Free] Shortbread Cookies are just like the Girl Scout cookies from your childhood! This healthy version is made with almond flour, so they are gluten and grain-free! They only require a few simple ingredients, and are vegan!
If you have been gluten-free for a while, then you know what it’s like to miss those amazing Girl Scout shortbread cookies. The Thin Mints and Samoas were always my favorites, but I know how loved the shortbread cookies are, so I decided to tackle those first. Don’t worry, the others are coming in due time…
We would get Girl Scout cookies every single year growing up. I mean, who can resist the adorable girls outside the grocery store selling cookies? Give me 10 boxes, please!
Making gluten-free shortbread cookies is actually way easier than you think. These only require a few simple ingredients, and come together really quickly.
They are made with almond flour, which makes them completely grain-free. They are also naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup, which gives them just enough sweetness along with a really nice flavor.
And let’s not forget about the butter, which is synonymous with shortbread! But fear not, my fellow dairy-free friends, we all know I used vegan butter in this recipe. It works perfectly!
The best thing about these cookies is that you can have a little fun with them! Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes, add different spices, or even add sprinkles or dip them in chocolate. You can make them your own!
Looking for more cookie recipes?
- [Paleo] Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- [Vegan] Banana Nutella Cookies
- Almond Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Pumpkin Pie Cookies
- Raw Coconut Cacao Almond Cookies
[Grain-Free] Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together to form a dough. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor half way through.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and use your hands to form it into a ball. Put the dough in the refrigerator and let it chill for 30 minutes. This helps it to firm up, it will be easier to roll out.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the dough has chilled in the fridge, place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out until it is about 1/4 of an inch thick. Make sure you do this immediately after you take it out of the fridge because as the dough warms up, it will become more difficult to work with.
- Use a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut out the cookie shapes, and place the cookies on a lined baking sheet.
- Once you are only left with scraps from the cutouts, bring the pieces together to create a ball, then roll it out again to the same thickness and continue cutting the cookies out.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until just slightly golden around the edges. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.