Including protein powder in our diet has become very common for a lot of people. It is an easy way to add extra good-quality protein into your meals with minimal effort. There are LOTS of different protein powder brands on the market, and it can be overwhelming when you are staring at the countless options of protein powders in the grocery store aisle. That is why I made The Ultimate Guide to Gluten-Free Protein Powder.
I’m here to help with that, and I have put together a comprehensive list of your protein powder options. Most of these brands I have personally tried over the years, and keep a rotating stock of them in my pantry. There are a few that I have not personally tried, but have heard great things about from trusted sources, and I did extensive research on each of these brands before recommending them.
I also have a few other posts that you can use as a resource to help you live a gluten-free lifestyle, without the stress!
- Tips for a Newly Diagnosed Celiac
- 20 Surprising Sources of Gluten
- A Celiac’s Guide to Gluten-Free Dining
- Gluten-Free Travel Tips for Celiacs
Why You Should Use Protein Powder
It is an easy way to add dietary protein to your everyday meals. Protein powder can be used in smoothies, oatmeal, brownies, pancakes, muffins, and so much more! It is also an easy option to just shake up with water or milk for a quick on the go snack.
What to look for in the ingredients
You want to try to avoid protein powders with lots of filler ingredients, artificial sweeteners, and especially things like barley grass or wheat grass (as they are not safe for celiacs).
Is protein powder gluten-free?
There are MANY gluten-free protein powder options on the market, and most of them are naturally gluten-free. But you still want to read the nutrition label and make sure that it states that it is GF, or at least doesn’t contain any gluten-containing ingredients.
Where can I buy protein powder?
You can buy many brands of protein powder at most grocery store chains, health food stores, and especially online. You can go directly to a brand’s website to buy it right from there, and you can also find many on Amazon. I would just make sure that you are buying it directly from the brand’s Amazon store if you are doing it that way. There can be some sketchy sellers that can sell you products that are not verified if you are not careful to look out for that.
Ways to Use Protein Powder (that aren’t just smoothies)
- Chocolate Protein Coffee (hot or iced!)
- Cranberry Coconut Protein Energy Bites
- Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Protein Brownies
- Carrot Cake Protein Balls
- Chocolate Coconut Protein Balls
- Blueberry Banana Protein Muffins
What to Avoid
You want to read the nutrition labels to make sure that there are no gluten-containing ingredients. These could include any type of wheat, wheat grass, or barley. But many brands make it easy by putting the ‘certified GF’ label right on the front.
The BEST Gluten-Free Protein Powders (by type)
- Earth Chimp – We love this brand in our house! They have minimal, clean ingredients, and the flavor is delicious (our favorite is the chocolate). It mixes up well when just shaken with water or milk, and is great in smoothies and baked goods as well. Click here to get 10% off!
- Ora Organics – Ora is a great brand with minimal, clean ingredients. They have many different wellness products, but I have used and loved their vanilla protein powder. It is one of my favorite brands for vanilla protein.
- NOW Foods – NOW Foods has a very wide variety of food and supplement products. I haven’t tried all of their protein powders, but I do love the chocolate mocha plant-based protein. Use code CANDACE to get 20% off!
- Kos – This one has several different types of protein options, and all are plant-based. They even have options that include greens powders, and options for kids.
- Vega – One of the most well known plant-based proteins on the market. I have used several of their flavors over the years.
- Garden of Life – They have many protein options, including powders and bars. This is another one that you can find in a lot of retail stores.
- Organifi – One of my favorite wellness supplement companies. The sourcing of their ingredients is impeccable, and their protein is delicious. Plus, it has lots of functional superfoods with added benefits. Use code CANDACE for 15% off!
- Nuzest – I love that their products have minimal ingredients and are sourced well. I haven’t personally tried this one, but I have heard from many people that it is easier to digest than some others on the market. I want to try this one soon!
- Four Sigmatic – This is one of my favorite brands for coffee, but I also love their protein powder. It has added benefits from mushrooms, and the texture and taste is amazing! Use code WHEATLESSKITCHEN for 15% off, or click here to get a discount!
- Naked Nutrition – This company has many different options from plant-based, as well as whey-based. I love the unflavored Seed Protein for baked goods!
- NOW Foods – NOW has many different options for protein powders, and I always trust the sourcing of their ingredients.
- Naked Nutrition – I love that their products always have minimal, clean ingredients, and they have an array of options for protein. I haven’t personally tried the whey protein, so I can’t speak to taste and texture.
- Equip Foods – This one technically isn’t whey protein, but it is a beef isolate protein, which means that most people can digest this better than whey. I haven’t tried it, but I have heard really great things about the texture and taste. It is on my list to try!
- Just Ingredients – They have many options for wellness supplements, and I trust the quality of their ingredients. Not only are their food products made with high quality ingredients, so are their personal care products like deodorant and skincare.
- Clean Simple Eats – This is another one I have not tried personally, but they have lots of flavors and their ingredients are great.
- Naked Nutrition – This is a whey protein option and I loved the taste and texture! I don’t do whey protein very often because it doesn’t digest well, but this product did not upset my stomach! They have two different flavors for their coffee protein, and both were delicious. They have minimal, clean ingredients, and they contain 95mg of caffeine from coffee. It has minimal sugar, which is sometimes hard to find in a coffee protein. You get to have your coffee with a big protein boost!
- Sprout Living – This company is amazing and really cares about their ingredients. This protein coffee is plant-based, has 90mg of natural caffeine, and is packed with adaptogenic mushrooms!
- Rootz Nutrition – They have regular protein powders, but this collagen option is a great option if you are looking to add collagen to your diet. They have a chocolate and vanilla flavor, so you can use it in different ways than just a plain collagen in your coffee.
- Ancient Nutrition – This is a great unflavored collagen option that has added benefits from vitamin C and probiotics.
Protein for Kids
- Kos – This one is not technically marketed for kids, but the ingredients are something that I would be happy to feed to my kids. And their strawberry flavor seems like it would be perfect for kiddos! I only give my kids a half serving of any protein powder when I do give it to them.
- Nuzest – This is a great option that has added benefits from probiotics, vitamin C, and more vitamins and minerals.
Protein + Greens
- Vega – You get the added benefits of greens in your protein shake! This one contains kale, alfalfa, broccoli, and spinach.
- Garden of Life – This one contains 20g of protein, plus 6 organic greens and veggies, and probiotics for gut health.
- Sprout Living – This one is great for adding to baked goods because it is JUST pumpkin seed protein, that’s it! So it is unflavored, and very versatile.
- Naked Nutrition – I have used and loved this one in baked goods and smoothies! It is a blend of 4 different seeds, and is unflavored. The texture is smooth and not chalky, and I prefer to use it in baked goods.
Ready to Drink Protein Drinks
- Orgain – You can find Orgain at many retailers, including Costco. I have had these and they are delicious. They have both a plant-based and whey option for their ready to drink shakes.
- OWYN – This brand is one of our favorite ready to drink protein options! All of the flavors are good, and my favorite is the cold brew!
- Ripple – I have only had the chocolate flavor of this one, and they also have kids options too. They have slightly more sugar than other options, but they are great in a pinch.
- Evolve – I have only had the chocolate flavor for this one, and it is delicious! It is higher in fiber, which is an added benefit.
Bone Broth Protein
- Ancient Nutrition – This brand is pretty well known for their bone broth protein. I haven’t tried it, but I have heard great things!
- Naked Nutrition – This one you can actually add to water and drink it like a regular bone broth, or even add it to soups!
- Equip Foods – This one isn’t technically made from bone broth, but it is a beef isolate, which is different than whey protein.
I hope this list was helpful for you! I wanted to compile enough resources to have an option for everyone. I will update as I try more!
A huge thank you to Naked Nutrition for sponsoring this post! I take great care in selecting my sponsors for TWK, so thank you for being here and supporting the work we do!