This Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup is a warm and comforting meal that is made with simple ingredients. It is packed with veggies, hearty wild rice, chicken, and is made dairy-free by using coconut milk!
Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
This is truly my favorite soup of all time, I have been making it for a few years now and am just now getting around to sharing the recipe in its rightful permanent place. The recipe came together sort of by accident. I had just given birth to my first daughter, and I needed to make something easy and fast. I had a few random veggies in the fridge, a rotisserie chicken, and rice in the pantry, so I decided to throw them in the Instant Pot to make a soup. It turned out AMAZING, and I have been making it ever since.
This soup is like a warm hug in a bowl. It is packed with nutrients from hearty veggies like carrots, mushrooms, and kale. And it will keep you full with the added protein of rotisserie chicken, and let’s not forget about the chewy brown rice. That just sends it over the top, I love a soup with a grain in it! You can use regular cream or milk, but I made it dairy-free by using full-fat coconut milk, and it is absolutely delicious. The coconut flavor is not overpowering at all, it adds a subtle sweetness and the perfect amount of creaminess.
I used my favorite sprouted brown rice from NOW Foods in this recipe, and they are always my go-to for good quality grains. The rice cooks perfectly, and adds an amazing chewy and creamy texture alongside the crunch of the vegetables. I would recommend either using wild rice or brown rice for this recipe, it holds up much better in the liquid than white rice does.
You can get 20% off your order at NOW Foods if you use the code ‘CANDACE’!
Different Cooking Methods
I have made this soup using several different cooking methods, and it turns out perfectly every single time!
This is the method I used the first time I ever made this recipe, and it is so simple. You will just throw all of the ingredients (except for the kale) into the Instant Pot, seal the lid, and put it on high pressure for 25 minutes. Then do a quick release of pressure, and remove the lid. At this point, you can add the chopped kale and give it a good stir. Let the kale sit in the hot liquid for about 10 minutes, and then its ready to serve!
For this method, you will add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker (except for the kale), put the lid on it, and let it cook on low for 4-5 hours. Right before serving, add the chopped kale and let it cook in the hot liquid for about 10 minutes, then serve!
This method requires a little more work, but takes less time to cook than in the slow cooker. You just saute your chopped veggies for a couple of minutes, add the rest of the ingredients (except for the kale), and then bring it to a simmer. You want to let it simmer for about 30 minutes to make sure the rice is cooked all the way through. And then add the kale at the end right before serving.
You are going to love this cozy soup on cold days when you want something creamy and comforting. It is perfect served alongside a piece of crusty gluten-free bread or crackers.
This post is sponsored by NOW Foods, I genuinely love so many of their products! Thank you for supporting The Wheatless Kitchen.
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Coconut Kale Chickpea Soup
- White Bean & Sausage Stew with Kale
- Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Jackfruit Taco Soup
- White Bean & Chard Soup
Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms , quartered
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 3 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- ¾ cup uncooked brown rice (or wild rice)
- 1 (15oz) can white beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- To make the soup on the stovetop: Preheat a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Then add the carrots, mushrooms, and garlic cloves, stir frequently and let them cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the chicken, rice, beans, coconut milk, and broth. Season with the salt, pepper, and parsley and give everything a good stir. Cover with a lid and bring it to a simmer. Turn the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, until the rice is completely cooked. Remove from the heat and add the kale and let it wilt for about 10 minutes before serving.
- If using the Instant Pot: Add all of the ingredients (except for the kale) to the Instant Pot and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes, then do a quick release of pressure. Remove the lid and add the kale and let it wilt for about 10 minute before serving.
- If using the slow cooker: Add all of the ingredients (except for the kale) to the slow cooker, put a lid on it, and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Add the kale for the last 10 minutes to let it wilt before serving.