[Grain-Free] Blueberry Orange Scones are a perfect gluten-free brunch treat! They are flaky on the outside, tender on the inside, and studded with blueberries and orange zest.
I can’t get over how amazing these scones turned out, they truly rival the delicious gluten-filled scones that you get at a bakery. Flaky and slightly crispy on the outside, but soft and tender on the inside. I have had a few trial and errors when it comes to making gluten-free scones. They are a delicate baked good and can be a bit tricky.
I think the key to a good gluten-free scone is to have a good mix of gluten-free flours. I tried it with a mix of three flours, but it just seemed to turn out better when I just used almond flour and coconut flour. It is really a win win because less ingredients and fancy flours is always a good thing!
The almond flour gives it some lightness, while the coconut flour gives it that drier dense texture that you usually find in a scone. There is actually a very small amount of cane sugar in these because scones are known to be a little less sweet than other pastries. All while being FILLED with blueberries that burst when baked and give off their delicious juices. And we can’t forget about the orange zest. This sends them right over the top, and makes them a little more special than just a regular blueberry scone.
The dough that you end up with will feel a little different than most gluten-free dough you have probably worked with. A lot of the time, GF dough can be a bit wet and sticky, but this one is different. It is dry enough to mold into a ball and doesn’t stick to your fingers, but not too dry to where it crumbles and falls apart.
These scones would be perfect for breakfast or brunch with a hot cup of coffee, or even an afternoon snack with a cup of tea! I hope you love them as much as I do.
Looking for more brunch recipes?
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
- Asparagus & Goat Cheese Frittata
- Gluten-Free Toasted Coconut Waffles
- Grain-Free Tiramisu Pancakes
[Grain-Free] Blueberry Orange Scones
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- zest of one large orange
- ⅓ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the coconut oil and use a fork to cut it in until it resembles wet sand, there should be small pieces of the oil running through it.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and orange zest. Then pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir it together until it forms a dough.
- Add the blueberries, and stir again until they are evenly distributed.
- Gently transfer the dough to a floured surface, and use your hands to form it into a round disk that is about 1 inch thick. Use a knife to cut the circle into 8 even wedges, then transfer the wedges to the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of cane sugar on top the scones (this gives them a crispy coating). Bake for 17-19 minutes, until the tops and sides are lightly golden.
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving.