Pizza Zucchini Boats are a healthy, veggie-packed way to enjoy pizza! Kids love it, and you only need a few simple ingredients. Use your favorite pizza toppings for an easy dinner idea.
I love a veggie-packed recipe that my toddler will devour, and this one is always a winner! It has all of the delicious flavors of pizza, and you really won’t even miss the crust. Zucchinis are in season, and I love to incorporate them in as much as I possibly can. They are a pretty versatile vegetable, and add tons of nutrition to any dish.
All you need for these cute little boats is a good sauce, ground turkey, pepperoni, and your favorite mozzarella cheese. I of course used dairy-free mozzarella, but you do you! This combo makes them naturally gluten-free and paleo-friendly (no need to spend extra time making a crust!)
You can get creative and stuff your zucchini boats with pretty much anything, I’ve done a bean and rice taco situation before, and it was amazing. But I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty partial to pizza, so I’m going to choose these every time if given the choice.
This is also a great recipe to let your kids help you with! I had so much fun stuffing the boats with my toddler and letting her sprinkle the cheese and pepperoni on top. Letting your kids help in the kitchen really encourages them to try the things they make because they can take a little pride in it. It’s a win win!
This recipe is a perfect light dinner, or a fun lunch!
Looking for more zucchini recipes?
- Warm Zucchini & Corn Salad
- Baked Eggs with Cherry Tomatoes & Zucchini Noodles
- Almond Crusted Baked Zucchini Fries
Pizza Zucchini Boats
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (25 oz) jar of red sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (I used VioLife dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup turkey pepperoni slices
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil, then add your ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey meat as it cooks. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir occasionally and let it cook for 7-8 minutes, until it is cooked through and lightly brown.
- Pour in the jar of red sauce, stir, and let it cook for 2-3 minutes to warm the sauce. Then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the meantime, slice the zucchini lengthwise and carefully scoop out the seeds and insides with a spoon. Place the zucchini boats on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon the meat sauce into the boats to fill them up, then top with a few pieces of pepperoni and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the zucchini has softened and cooked through, and the pepperoni is crispy.
- Let them cool slightly and serve!