(Dairy-Free) Iced Matcha Latte
This quick and easy iced matcha green tea latte is a perfect afternoon pick-me-up! It is loaded with antioxidants, naturally sweetened, and delicious!
I have never really loved the coffee at Starbucks, it was always too strong and bitter for me (probably because it’s not great quality). So I would order their iced green tea latte pretty often. Until I found out that it contains upwards of 50g of sugar, that is.
I couldn’t believe it, that much sugar in a matcha latte! That is completely unnecessary, and will absolutely send you on a blood sugar roller coaster. So I decided to start making my own at home. It is way easier than you think, and literally takes about 2 minutes to throw together.
WHAT IS MATCHA GREEN TEA?
Matcha is a Japanese green tea powder made from finely powdered dry tea leaves. The leaves have a very high chlorophyll level, so this gives it that beautiful vibrant green color. It has recently become popular in the US because of its health benefits, but it has been a traditional Japanese ritual for centuries.
Matcha has supercharged health benefits compared to regular green tea that you brew. This is because the leaves are ground into a fine powder, thus giving us extra antioxidants, as well as caffeine and L-Theanine.
If you’re the type of person that gets jittery from coffee, then matcha may be right for you. Your body processes it differently, so it could actually help you be more energized and focused.
What kind of matcha powder should I buy?
If you are drinking your matcha instead of cooking with it, you are going to want to get ceremonial grade matcha powder. Ceremonial grade is regarded as the highest quality matcha one can consume. The leaves are found at the very top of the tea bush and are very delicate,. They contain more chlorophyll, which is what gives ceremonial grade matcha a much more vibrant green color.
Culinary grade tea leaves are harvested later, exposed to more sun, and are bigger. This gives them a bolder flavor, as well as a but more bitter flavor. Culinary grade matcha is perfect for baking or even adding to smoothies.
Iced Matcha Latte Ingredients
- MATCHA POWDER – I recommend ceremonial grade matcha, but culinary grade can also be used.
- MILK OF CHOICE – I used unsweetened almond milk in this recipe, but you can substitute any type of milk you choose.
- MAPLE SYRUP – My favorite sweetener for a matcha latte is maple syrup because it gives it a subtle sweetness and doesn’t overpower the matcha flavor. You can use honey or a granulated sugar if you choose to.
- HOT WATER – You will mix the matcha powder into a small amount of hot water first to get rid of any clumps, then pour it right over the milk and ice.
How To Make an Iced Matcha Latte
STEP 1 – Pour the hot water into a small bowl, add the matcha powder, and whisk until there are no clumps.
STEP 2 – Pour the almond milk into a glass over ice, and add the maple syrup. Then add the matcha mixture to the milk, and stir to combine.
IT REALLY IS THAT EASY!
TIPS FOR A PERFECT MATCHA LATTE
- USE A HIGH QUALITY MATCHA POWDER – you want to look for ceremonial grade matcha rather than culinary grade. It will have a less bitter flavor.
- MIX WELL – The traditional way to make matcha is to whisk it with a special matcha whisk. But if you don’t have one of those, make sure you really blend it well using a milk frother, metal whisk, or even in your blender.
- To make it even easier, you can just add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend it all up together.
Milk Options For a Dairy-Free Latte
You can use any type of milk you prefer for a matcha latte, here are a few options if you want to keep it dairy-free!
- SOY MILK
- ALMOND MILK
- OAT MILK
- MACADAMIA NUT MILK (my favorite if I have it on hand!)
- CASHEW MILK
- COCONUT MILK
Ways To Sweeten A Matcha Green Tea Latte
My favorite way to sweeten my matcha lattes is with maple syrup. But I have also used honey, and coconut sugar as well. If you use a granulated sugar, you may want to add it to the hot water and matcha mixture to get it to dissolve before adding it to the cold milk. If you don’t dissolve it, you may end up with sugar granules at the bottom of your drink.
- MAPLE SYRUP
- COCONUT SUGAR
- MONK FRUIT (sugar-free!)
- DATE SUGAR
- ORGANIC CANE SUGAR
Iced Matcha Latte Recipe
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pour the hot water into a small bowl, add the matcha powder, and whisk until there are no clumps.
- Pour the almond milk into a glass over ice, and add the maple syrup. Then add the matcha mixture to the milk, and stir to combine.
Looking for more latte recipes?
FOLLOW ALONG! Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for my latest recipes!