We have traveled quite a bit over the past few years, whether it be a big vacation to Mexico, or a quick trip back down to Houston to visit family. When you have food allergies, it can be so frustrating to try find snacks to hold you over until you get to your destination and can eat a real meal. Airports are hard because they carry a lot of packaged, unhealthy snack items, and sometimes all you can find is a coffee shop and have to deal with a latte to satisfy you. And don’t even get me started on the gas stations if you are doing a road trip. Oy, I know there are a few items in there that you could have, like potato chips, but you always feel better when eating simpler, whole foods rather than processed stuff.
So to try to combat the airports and gas stations, I have come up with a fun and delicious list of travel snack ideas for you guys! These are things that Kenny and I personally bring with us while traveling. They transport easily, and are WAY healthier than gas station food.
– Cut up fruits and veggies, like strawberries, peaches, carrots, celery, etc.
– Veggie sticks with nut butter, in a jar. Just put the lid on it and throw it in your bag.
– Homemade trail mix. I like to combine a 2:1 nut to dried fruit ratio. Pictured above is brazil nuts, pepitas, and dried apricots.
– For convenience, you could always bring Larabars, KIND bars, or Kutoa Bars with you.
– Homemade oatmeal mix. Just combine oats, chia seeds, nuts and dried fruit in a jar. Put a lid on it, and once you get to the airport, just buy a cup of warm nut milk and pour it in the jar. Let it sit for a few minutes to thicken and soften the oats and you have oatmeal!
– Spicy Baked Kale Chips. Transport in a plastic or glass container so they don’t get crushed.
– Grain-Free Quinoa Granola. Perfect for snacking by itself, or you could pour some milk over it and have cereal.
– Coconut Cacao Energy Bites. These will keep you fueled through a long flight or car ride, and they are one of the easiest travel snacks.
– Almond Coconut Oat Bars. Cut and wrap in individual portions with plastic wrap. Throw them in your purse and you’re set!
– Carrot Cake Protein Balls. Because these have added protein in them, they keep you fuller for longer.
– Cinnamon Raisin Almond Flour Muffins. Who doesn’t love a muffin from a coffee shop? Bring you own so you can control exactly what goes in them.