These Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are made with oats, almond flour, and fresh lemon. They are light, fluffy, and a perfect brunch option!
Basically anything that is lemon poppy seed flavored is my husband’s favorite. Lemon bars, lemon cookies, bread, muffins, you name it, he loves it. So you can just imagine how long he had been asking me to make these pancakes.
The BEST Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes!
These quick and easy pancakes only require one bowl, and a few simple ingredients. The flour base is a mix of oats and almond flour, which gives them a substantial (yet light) texture. Then all you need are the usual suspects: things like eggs, milk, vanilla, coconut sugar, and don’t forget the lemon zest and poppy seeds!
They have a fresh and tangy flavor from the lemon, and a hint of sweetness from a tiny bit of coconut sugar. They cook up beautifully, and have a perfect cakey texture. I like to keep my toppings simple with just a little (dairy-free) butter and maple syrup. But you can jazz it up by adding berries, or even some whipped cream!
Ingredients for Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Oats – this gives the pancakes a hearty texture without making them too dense
- Almond Flour – almond is so perfect for pancakes, it gives a nice light texture
- Baking soda – a staple in any baking or pancake recipe
- Coconut Sugar – we only use a small amount of coconut sugar to give it a subtle sweetness and bring out the lemon flavor, but you can leave this out if you want
- Poppy Seeds – of course!
- Vanilla Extract – adding extra flavor, you can’t have pancakes without vanilla
- Lemon Juice & Zest – you need both the juice AND the zest from the lemon to really get that delicious flavor.
- Milk – I used non-dairy almond milk
- Eggs – they help give the pancakes a fluffier texture
- Toppings: butter, maple syrup, frest fruit, etc.
[Gluten-Free] Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 (heaping) tbsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Add the oats to a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds, until the oats turn into a flour consistency.
- Next, add all of the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and pulse for another 30 seconds, until the batter comes together and is evenly mixed. (You can also do all of this in a regular bowl with a whisk. Just transfer your oats to a large mixing bowl, then add all of the other ingredients and whisk until combined.)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat, and add about a tbsp of coconut oil (or butter) to the pan. Once melted, pour 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan. Depending on how big your pan is, you can cook 3-4 pancakes at a time.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
Looking for more pancake recipes?
- Raspberry Lemon Coconut Flour Pancakes
- [Grain-Free] Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- Cinnamon Oat Pancakes
- [Gluten-Free] Pumpkin Spice Pancakes