This homemade Paleo Pumpkin Pie is made from scratch and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. The flaky crust is grain-free, absolutely delicious, and only requires a few ingredients!
What is Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie!?
Sad, that’s what it is.
My grandma has made pumpkin pie every single holiday season for as long as I can remember. My recipe is a little bit (or a lotta bit) different than hers, but it is just as delicious! It is creamy, decadent, and has a flaky crust. I think grandma would be proud.
Ingredients for a paleo pie crust ->
- almond flour & coconut flour – I love using a mix of almond and coconut flour for things like pie crusts. It yields the most perfect texture!
- coconut sugar – A good pie crust has to have just a hint of sweetness in it, trust me. But you can use any type of granulated sugar you want if you don’t have coconut sugar
- coconut oil – we’re using coconut oil in place of butter, it gives it such a great flavor!
- eggs, salt, water – the usuals. The eggs hold everything together, and you always have to have salt with your sweet.
Ingredients in a healthy pie filling ->
- real pumpkin puree – not the super sweetened pumpkin pie filling that you can buy in a can. We are using the pure pumpkin for this one, and adding in the good stuff.
- pure maple syrup – I LOVE sweetening just about everything with maple syrup, it gives off the most amazing flavor in this pie. It is just perfect for holiday recipes.
- almond milk – I like to use the unsweetened version in this recipe since we are already using a sweetener. You can use any type of non-dairy milk you want if you don’t have almond milk.
- eggs – They help the filling turn into the perfect texture.
- vanilla & spices – We can’t have a sweet dessert without vanilla extract. And you can’t have pretty much anything pumpkin without pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
You can make pumpkin pie ahead of time ->
If you are making this for your Thanksgiving menu, you can definitely make it ahead of time to save yourself some work on the big day! Just let it cool completely, then wrap it up or put it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you want to make it the week before, then you can freeze it too! Just do the same thing by wrapping it up or putting it in a container, and it will keep in the freezer for about a month!
Then all you have to do is thaw it in the fridge overnight before you want to serve it.
Top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and you’re set!
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
- [Grain-Free] Pumpkin Spice Donuts + Salted Caramel Glaze
- Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
- [Paleo] Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Raw [Vegan] Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites
- [Gluten-Free] Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Paleo Pumpkin Pie
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, add all of the crust ingredients except for the water. Pulse a few times to combine the ingredients, then slowly pour in the water while the food processor is on. It will quickly turn into a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 10-20 minutes, this will help it firm up and make it easier to press into the pie dish.
- Oil the bottom of your pie pan, and gently press the crust out with your fingers, making sure that you go up the sides. Do your best to make it an even crust all the way around. Next, pierce the crust with a fork a few times.
- Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until it is firm. You don't want a soggy crust.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the filling ingredients until you have a smooth consistency.
- When the crust has baked and firmed up, remove from the oven and pour the filling into the pie pan (do not over fill) and bake for 45-50 minutes until firm and knife comes out clean in the center.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least an hour before serving.