These fresh and healthy Vegetable Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce are the perfect appetizer or light snack! Crunchy vegetables wrapped in rice paper and dipped in the most amazing peanut dipping sauce.
I love a good spring roll at any type of Thai restaurant! You always get some type of delicious dipping sauce, which of course is the best part. And the fresh crunchy vegetables are always a great start to a meal.
Making your own spring rolls is actually pretty simple, you just need a little bit of patience to get everything prepped. I will warn you though, rice paper can take some getting used to. At least for me, it did. It took me at least 2 spring rolls to finally get the rice paper to cooperate and stop sticking to itself. But once you get the hang of it, it’s smooth sailing.
I had to go with the classic combo or carrots, bell peppers, cucumber, romaine leaves, and avocado. SO MUCH CRUNCH, and the creamy avocado is definitely a must for these!
But let’s talk about the sauce, because we all know that’s the real star here. I could practically drink this spicy peanut dipping sauce, its THAT GOOD. I love to put it on salads, stir-frys, any type of veggie or rice dish, and even marinate chicken in it.
It has a creamy peanut butter base, and then your usual suspects like sesame oil, tamari for saltiness, rice vinegar and lime for acidity, and honey to sweeten it just a bit. And you can definitely control the heat level on this too. If you don’t want it spicy at all, just leave out the red pepper flakes, and if you do, adjust it to your desired spice level.
You are going to love this easy appetizer or light snack. It is perfect to serve at a dinner party because it tends to really impress.
Looking for more appetizer recipes?
Vegetable Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 12 pieces of rice paper
- 3 carrots , thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1 english cucumber , thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1 bell pepper , thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 4-5 romaine lettuce leaves , torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 large avocado , thinly sliced
Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp tamari (GF soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't want any spice)
- Add all of the peanut sauce ingredients to a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until it is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a small bowl and set it in the fridge while you make the spring rolls.
- You are going to make an assembly line for the spring rolls. Have a bowl of warm water ready to dip the rice paper in. Then set out all of your sliced veggies to be able to grab them easily.
- Time to make the spring rolls. Take one of the pieces of rice paper and dip it into the warm water for 20-30 seconds, until it softens up completely. Place the wet paper on a cutting board, make sure you lie it out completely flat.
- Next, take a couple of pieces of each of the veggies: carrots, cucumbers, peppers, avocado, romaine, cilantro. Layer the veggie slices on top of each other, toward the bottom edge of the rice paper.
- To roll, use your fingers to hold the veggies in place as you gently (but tightly) roll the paper over the veggies. Keep rolling until you get to the middle, then fold over each end, and roll the rest of the way. Continue these steps with the rest of the rolls.
- Once rolled, set them in the fridge to chill for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- When ready to serve, you can cut them in half, leave them whole, or even cut them into 1-2 inch pieces. Serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy!