These Vegan Stuffed Peppers are plant-based and loaded with flavor from black beans, corn, onion, tomato, and spices. This is an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Stuffed Peppers
If you are looking for a simple, healthy meal that the whole family will love, then this is the recipe for you! These peppers are packed with lots of flavor, are plant-based, and always a hit! They are simple and easy to put together for a pretty quick weeknight dinner, and only require a few simple ingredients.
They are stuffed with a traditional list of ingredients when you think about southwestern themed recipes. Rice, beans, tomato, corn, onion and spices. SO good. It works out perfectly that this makes a little more filling than you need for the peppers, and it goes great on top of a salad!
Ingredients for Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Bell peppers
- Black beans
- Yellow onion
- Frozen corn
- Brown rice
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Fresh garlic
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chili powder
- Salt & Pepper
All of the ingredients are so simple, and come together to create the BEST flavor.
What to Serve With Stuffed Peppers
Here are a few dishes that would be delicious served alongside stuffed peppers…
- The Perfect Roasted Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Fish Tostadas
- Loaded Nachos with Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Roasted Garden Salsa
- Paprika Parsnip Fries
- Mexican Street Corn
You can meal prep these ahead of time and they can become the perfect easy lunch. Or if you’re feeling a little bit fancy, fry up a couple of eggs and put them on top of the peppers for breakfast.
Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers , cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 (14oz) can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 yellow onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized pot, combine the rice and broth, cover with a lid, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for about 40 minutes. If using a different type of rice, cook according to package instructions.
- Spray a large baking dish (I used 9×13 glass dish) with cooking spray. Lay the bell peppers cut side up inside the dish and then spray the tops of the peppers with the cooking spray. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. This just par-bakes them and gets them ready for the filling later on. After the 10 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the filling. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Then add the chopped onion, stir, and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Once the onion starts to soften, add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next, add the corn and cook for 1-2 minutes. Once the corn starts to soften, add the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir frequently for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is warmed through.
- When the rice is done cooking, stir the rice into the bean mixture and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the filling into the peppers, filling them all the way up. Top with a sprinkle of vegan mozzarella and cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes to brown the top.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, or any of your favorite toppings!
Looking for more plant-based meals?
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
- Balsamic Tofu Stir-Fry with Quinoa and Broccoli