This is one of those recipes that sort of happened by accident. I was needing to get dinner on the table pretty quickly, and I happened to pull out a bunch of random ingredients from the fridge and freezer. Out came these turkey lettuce wraps and they are SO GOOD.
Butter lettuce has to be one of my favorite lettuces, it is the most perfect shape and texture to make lettuce wraps with. And then combine it with double carbs?!?!
I’m here for it.
It really is so simple. Just roast some sweet potatoes until they are a liiiiittle bit crispy on the outside, cook some rice with coconut milk (because it’s the only way), and add your favorite spices to some ground turkey.
Tuck all of those things into lettuce cups and you have yourself the perfect meal. They are light, but hearty at the same time. And of the different textures really go together perfectly.
I definitely recommend the avocado.
Turkey Lettuce Wraps with Coconut Rice & Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes (chopped)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 tbsp chili powder (divided)
- 1 tbsp cumin (divided)
- 1/2 tsp salt (divided)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (divided)
- 1.5 lb ground turkey
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients for the rice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it boil for about a minute, then cover, turn the heat to medium-low and let cook for 40-45 minutes (until all liquid is absorbed).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 salt, 1/4 pepper, 1/2 tbsp chili powder and 1/2 tbsp cumin. Stir to evenly coat, then lay them in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Roast the potatoes for 20-25 minutes, until lightly brown.
- While the potatoes are baking, you are going to cook the turkey in a skillet. Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the turkey with the rest of the salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet, and cook for 7-9 minutes, until lightly brown and cooked through.
- When all three components are finished cooking, spoon a small amount of the rice, potatoes, and turkey into your lettuce cups. Top with avocado or your favorite sauce and enjoy!