Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken & Potatoes is a simple foolproof meal made with 6 ingredients. Juicy chicken goes perfectly with crispy potatoes, all infused with lemon and herbs.
Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe
Everyone needs a go-to chicken dish for those busy weeknights, and this one-pan chicken is perfect for that! This dish is easy enough for when you need something relatively quick, but always impressive to serve at a dinner party. It will feed a crowd, and is versatile, so you can customize it with any type of herbs you want! The chicken is roasted to perfection, is juicy on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside. The potatoes add texture by getting crispy on the edges, and everything is infused with bright lemon and flavorful herbs to take the whole dish up a notch.
Ingredients for Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
- CHICKEN BREASTS – I used organic chicken breasts for this, but chicken thighs will also work perfectly!
- YUKON GOLD POTATOES – This is also a place where you can customize to your liking, use any type of potato that looks the best at the grocery store or farmer’s market. Yukon gold potatoes are one of my favorites.
- FRESH LEMONS – The lemons add so much brightness to the dish! You are going to use the zest of the lemons on the chicken, and then slice them thin and place them on top of the dish to roast alongside everything else.
- HERBS – Use any type of herbs you want! I used dried basil, thyme, and parsley. Feel free to use fresh herbs if you want, but I had several types of dried herbs in my pantry.
- SALT & PEPPER – Use a good quality mineral salt when you cook, it adds amazing flavor. And pepper always compliments lemon really well.
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL – I alternate between olive oil and avocado for dishes like this.
How to Make This Easy Roasted Chicken Dish
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep the chicken by patting it dry with paper towels, and place them on the baking sheet. Chop the potatoes, and scatter them all over the baking sheet with the chicken.
- Zest your lemon and combine the zest, herbs, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix with a fork to combine, then sprinkle the mixture all over the chicken, using your hands to rub the herb mixture onto the chicken. Slice the lemons into thin slices, and scatter them all over the chicken and potatoes.
- Drizzle the chicken and potatoes with olive oil, then season the potatoes with salt.
- Roast for 33-40 minutes, until the chicken is browning on top and the potatoes are crispy on the outside.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before cutting into it. Plate it up and enjoy!
Tips for roasting chicken
- When you take the chicken out of the packaging, make sure you pat it dry with a paper towel, this will help it get brown and crispy by taking away some of the moisture.
- Try to spread the chicken and potatoes out in an even layer. If everything is piled on top of each other, the potatoes will most likely steam and never really get crispy on the outside. If you have a smaller sheet pan, or are cooking for more people, use two baking sheets. This will ensure that the food will be more spread out.
- For added flavor, you can marinate the chicken in the lemon, olive oil, and herbs for about 30 minutes ahead of time, but this step is not necessary.
This really is the perfect entree for a family meal because the seasonings are simple, and the flavor is BIG. It is the ultimate one-pan meal, and pairs perfectly with a side salad or roasted green veggies.
Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken & Potatoes
- 4 organic chicken breasts
- 4-5 cups yukon gold potatoes , chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt , divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large lemons
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Use a paper towel to pat the chicken to remove the excess moisture. Place the chicken onto the baking sheet.
- Chop the potatoes into bite size cubes and scatter them all around the chicken in an even layer.
- Zest one of the lemons and combine the zest, herbs, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/4 of pepper in a small bowl. Mix with a fork to combine, then sprinkle the mixture all over the chicken, using your hands to rub the lemon herb mixture onto the chicken. Slice both lemons into thin slices, and scatter them all over the chicken and potatoes.
- Drizzle the chicken and potatoes with olive oil, and season the potatoes with another tsp of salt.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is browning on top and the potatoes are golden and crispy.
- When done, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it.
Looking for more chicken entrees?
- Paleo Baked Chicken Tenders
- Thai Cashew Chicken
- Sheet Pan Honey Garlic Chicken & Veggies
- Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- Mediterranean Braised Chicken Thighs